inlibrisveritas

In Libris Veritas

Jim Henson's The Storyteller

The Storyteller - Katie Cook, Colleen Coover, Nate Cosby, Chris Eliopoulos, Francesco Francavilla, Justin Gray, Roger Langridge, Marjorie M. Liu, Ron Marz, Jim McCann, Jimmy Palmiotti, Jeff Parker, Paul Tobin, Tom Fowler, Janet Lee, Mike Maihack, Evan Shaner, Janet K. Lee, Jennifer L. Meyer

thesaturdayissue

The Saturday Issue is a feature I created to showcase and review graphic novels.

Source: Netgalley/Archaia Entertainment – I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I received no compensation.
Publisher: Archaia Entertainment
Series: -
Edition: EGalley, 111
Genre: Graphic Novel Anthology
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository*
*I receive a small monetary kickback from Amazon purchases
Rating: 4/5

When I saw this I just knew I had to try it out. Jim Henson’s name carries a certain weight to me.I immediately think of the fun movies and shows from my childhood, and it reminds me of the quality of imagination and creativity involved.. The Storyteller  is an anthology filled with folk tales from various parts of the world, each with a unique art style to accompany it.

This is a really cute graphic novel that centers around the Storyteller, who likes to collect and tell all manner of stories, and his cute dog. There are 9 stories total. Some of the tales he tells are really well known and others are a bit more obscure or only well known in certain parts of the world. As I said before each story comes with it’s own art style that matches the story’s origin or ‘feel’. I really loved Puss in Boots and The Crane Wife, I already knew those stories but the art was really fitting and made the stories a bit more ‘fun’.

I think this would be perfect for kids because this would be something I would have loved as a kid. I think the whole storyteller idea is brilliant because it becomes sort of interactive if a parent chooses to read it with their child. The Jim Henson company definitely hit the mark with this one, and I wouldn’t mind seeing more tales told like this.