inlibrisveritas

In Libris Veritas

Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton I adore this movie and think it's probably one of the best sci-fi films out there, but for some reason I never thought about reading the actual book until a friend of mine made me go home with his copy. At that point reading something becomes an obligation so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Needless to say if you see my rating then you know I really loved it. The movie wasn't an exact copy of this and I think that made me enjoy it the book so much more then I would have if it had been.The concept alone is phenomenal, I mean what person hasn't thought about what it's like to be near a dinosaur. I also like how it's not a fairy-tale but it shows the 'real' danger that an idea like this actually poses. The characters are similar to the movie in basic personality but differ in other ways which made this have a different feel from the movie. The young girl is still exceedingly annoying and I could practically hear her screaming and complaining everything she had a line. I think Malcolm is probably my favorite, his many rants are pure genius and I love his snarky attitude. The writing was fantastic, you would think with the amount of technical details that Mr. Crichton makes a hobby of trying to replicate dinosaurs. Hell you would think he owns a few already. He put in a lot of research time for this book in just getting the animal behavior to feel right, not to mention the time it probably took to make sure everything technical would sound believable. It does have technical terms through out but there is also a fair amount of explanation happening as well, so you don't feel out of the loop. This is going to be one of those books that I'll have a hard time forgetting (not like I'd want to though).I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys sci-fi or anyone who enjoyed the movie a lot. Soo glad my friend made me read this. I'll probably try to find some more of Crichton's books and probably even buy a copy of this for myself in the future.