inlibrisveritas

In Libris Veritas

The New Avengers Vol 1: Breakout

The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout - Brian Michael Bendis, David Finch, Danny Miki

thesaturdayissue

Source: Purchased
Publisher: Marvel
Series: The New Avengers #1
Edition: Paperback, 160 pages
Genre: Graphic Novel
Purchase: Amazon*
*I receive a small monetary kickback from Amazon purchases
Rating: 4/5

So with the conclusion of Avengers Disassembled (Review here) and House of M (Review here), I was really curious to see how things picked up for the motley team.

It starts out with a mass riot/breakout at the Raft,  a supervillian prison, caused by Electro. Our heroes are once again forced together as they all respond to the danger. I think overall it’s a pretty interesting team set up: Spiderman, Ironman, Captain America, Luke Cage, Spiderwoman, and…Wolverine. Who I think will probably be grumpy and not actually be ‘on the team’ just with the team.

There were some dull moments in this one but I think Spiderman and his humor saved it from bringing the story down too much. It just nice to have a ‘normal’ guy on the team who is more than willing to point out just how ridiculous or confusing something is. The artwork is great though I did get irritated when I saw the same panels used more than once.

I’m kind of curious to see how well the team dynamic works out in a more controlled setting and see who butts heads with each other. So far I really like it, but there is definitely the promise of some drama building.